People of Detroit:
Armand de la Richardie
Upon Charlevoix's recommendation, the Jesuit order of Quebec sent Father Armand de la Richardie to the Detroit area in 1728 to build a mission for the Ouendots (aka Wyandots or Hurons).
Moral conflicts in Fort Ponchartrain led to the parish there falling in Recollet hands. Not wanting to make more trouble, Richardie decided to build the mission across the Detroit River from Fort Ponchartrain. The mission was located just north of the present site of Assumption College, in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Less than 10 years after the Mission House was completed, a storehouse, priest's residence and church were also built on the grounds.
The Ouendot (Wyandot/Huron) tribe moved to the mission where they lived off and on for many years. Read more about the Ouendots and Mission House.