Upon Pierre Charlevoix's recommendation, the Jesuit order of Quebec sent Father Armand de la Richardie to the Detroit area in 1728 to build a mission for the Hurons.
Mission House was built at the site of present day Sandwich Point in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Since the departure of Father Valliant from Fort Ponchartrain (Detroit), the Recollet order governed the village. Thus, Father Richardie felt the Jesuit mission would cause less tension across the river than in Fort Ponchartrain.
The one and a half story Mission House was built of hewn pine and sawed lumber. It was 40 feet by 30 feet with a steeply pitched roof and dormers. A cellar and two chimneys were built with stone.
Not long after Mission House was built, a church was built on the grounds. Huron Church was a modest church made of wood. A belfry topped the steep roof and was topped with a weather vane in the shape of a rooster. In time, poles were used to prop up the walls.
In 1736, a store and a warehouse were built on the grounds. There the Hurons good trade on much better terms than those offered at Fort Ponchartrain.