The Streets of Detroit
This section of the site is not complete. If you have a question about a street that is not listed, please email .
|Jacob Avenue (Ham)||Named for Hamtramck city councilman, Henry Jacob(1911).|
Special thanks to John Bezik for this information.
|James Couzens Highway||Named for the 50th Mayor of the City of Detroit, James Couzens.|
|Jefferson Avenue E-W||Named for Thomas Jefferson. Mary Bailey of the Detroit News, writes, "Jefferson Avenue was named for President Thomas Jefferson, who appointed the first Michigan territorial officials and was a good friend of Augustus Woodward. It was first surveyed in 1807 and named "Main Street," but soon renamed for Jefferson. At its intersection with Griswold it passes through the heart of the old cemetery of St. Anne's Church where the remains of Detroit's earliest inhabitants are buried. "|
|John R. Street||Mary Bailey of the Detroit News writes: "John R, Elizabeth and Columbia streets are named for personal reasons. John R. Williams was a landowner , merchant and bank president in the first half of the 19th century, who named the street after himself. Baptized John Williams, he adopted the letter 'R' to distinguish himself from another John Williams in Detroit. Some of his business ventures, such as publishing an early newspaper, included his uncle, Joseph Campau. Williams was a general in the Territorial Militia, a member of the board of trustees at the 'new' University of Michigan and the first elected Detroit mayor in 1824. Williams named Elizabeth after his daughter, and Columbia after a street where he lived in Albany, New York."|
|Jones Street||Probably named for Richard H. Jones, who was one of thirty leading Detroit citizens deported by General Proctor for criticizing the General's actions during the War of 1812.|
Some time between 1939 and 1968, Jones Street's named was changed to Plaza Drive.
|Jos. Campau Avenue||Named for early Detroiter Joseph Campau. Mary Bailey of the Detroit News, writes, "Joseph Campau was named for one of the wealthiest and best known citizens of Detroit. His grandfather came here with Cadillac, the founder of Detroit, and established what were afterwards known as James Campau, Chene and Poupard farms. Joseph Campau was a descendant of the third generation, born in Detroit in 1769. He opened a store on Atwater and became the first Detroit merchant to buy goods in Boston. He was the first real estate promoter of Detroit, who made a business of buying vacant lots and building homes on them to sell or rent."|
|Joseph S. Stringham Court||Named for Joseph S. Stringham|
|Joslyn Avenue (HP)|
|Joy Road||The Joy farm was located on Joy Rd., west of Woodward Avenue near Linwood. |
Special thanks to Jack, for this and all of the other great info you've shared.
|Junction Avenue N-S|